The community that became Highland Presbyterian Church first met in 1873 in a local physician’s home. They created a Sabbath School for children and an adult prayer meeting. A larger meetinghouse was built in 1876 where Highland Presbyterian Church now stands at the corner of Cherokee Road and Highland Avenue.
Established in the Highlands neighborhood of Louisville, Highland Presbyterian Church was the first church officially organized in 1882. The current sanctuary was built in 1888 in the shape of a Greek cross. The Courier-Journal remarked at the dedication that it was as “pretty a little church edifice as could be found in the city.”
From that point to the present, this has been a place of worship where a Presbyterian community has committed to learn and grow in faith. As it has done so, the church expanded, building the Sunday School Building in 1916 (expanded in 1930) and the Walker-Nevin Education Building in 1960. In 2007, the church renovated the old Parr’s Rest building into the Pleune-Mobley Center. Currently, the Center houses the Youth Ministry and Mission Center and is home to Kentucky Refugee Ministries (www.kyrm.org).
From the early days to the present, people have left the doors of the church to be a part of God’s life in the world. From the Great Flood of 1937, to starting mission churches through the 20th century, to Civil Rights, to refugee ministries, Highland Presbyterian Church is committed to follow wherever God is calling us to today and tomorrow. Come be a part of a Christian community that is Sharing Hope from the Heart of the Highlands.
The finest resource for a full history of Highland Presbyterian Church is the book “Like Jacob’s Well: The Very Human History of Highland Presbyterian Church” by Linda Raymond and Bill Ellison.