Following the first class, people are invited to make their visual prayers by taking photos. Here are some suggestions below. If you want a primer, you can download the class notes.
Photo Assignment for January 25
- Start each day asking God for wisdom and guidance to see with the heart.
- Take them in color or in black and white.
- As you go about regular life in your neighborhood, your house, familiar streets, at work, in town, see what your notice. Receive the photos you open yourself to.
- Using your phone or camera see things that are signs of God’s presence. This might look like one of these or even beyond these:
- Human Expression: Interactions of people
- God at the Farmers Market: What does the presence of God look like, smell like, feel like, taste like?
- A New Old Thing: Something familiar that you have not noticed before.
- Gratitude: Something on the street that feels welcoming or generous
- Seeing Patterns: receive a photo that creates lines, shapes, textures, or symmetry.
- When something draws your interest or curiosity, see it with openness, with the eyes of compassion and gentleness.
- Is there a building, or pattern, or imfections you see that are interesting?
- Give thought to what signs there are of God’s presence in these things.
- The second and third prompts will offer more specific things to look for.
- Remember, seeing is the goal, not perfection.
- If you want to share the photos: email them to firstname.lastname@example.org